Followers

Nikonstudio.tumblr.com Posts

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Prerequisites for Home Shoot - Macro Performance of Nikon Lenses Reviewed


I think you know where I am getting on this one. Home shoot does not merely mean wide-angled snaps of living rooms and turfs but also often mean a little of macro photography. Not all lenses I own are cut out for this job and a little review is required before an attempt is made on any close-up shots.

OK. I have only five lenses, so this should be quite easy. The Nikon 35mm F/1.8G lens goes as close as 0.3m but has only a MRR of 0.16 (or 1:6.25). Next, we have the Nikon 50mm F/1.8D prime at 0.45m and MRR of 0.15. The Nikon 18-105mm kit lens goes as close as 0.45m and a respectable MRR rating of 0.2. Second last on the list, we have the Nikon 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6 VR II at 0.5m and a MRR figure of 0.22! Well, forget about using the Nikon 70-300mm F/4-5.6G. Its minimal focus distance of 1.5m is urrrrh...just out of the league.

Looks like the Nikon 18-200mm is the best lens among my small collection of glasses to do macro photography. Unless I go buy that BR-2A reverse mount for my 50mm prime, nothing comes close to it to do the close-up job. Obviously nothing in my bag comes close to the Macro lenses like the Nikon 60mm and I am not about to rush out the door to get one.

No comments: