Followers

Nikonstudio.tumblr.com Posts

Friday, May 22, 2009

Nikkor Lens Search - Furthest Reach Yet Economical Lens

I apologize if it took me this long but it does involves a little more than reading a brochure. As you may already know, I often review to buy and not simply talk about it. My initial preference went to the Nikkor 80-200 AF-D F/2.8 for $1000, with an empty promise to use it with the near impossible-to-find older teleconverter TC-201 to reach 400mm.

After deflating tons of technical specification, sample images, price ratio and professional opinion from the Internet, I thought the Nikkor 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6D  VR meet similar objective for $500 more. I found a used mint condition 80-400 VR for $1200 while window shopping last week. End of the story? Nope.

What I have in mind is more the Nikkor 300mm F/4 AF-S White Edition at $1300, and a promise to work with the readily available TC-14E II, TC-17E II or even the TC-20E II! Hence, with $1650 hard cold cash, you now can reach the highly coveted 600mm focal length at a fraction of the cost against other Nikon alternatives.

Would I dive in and grab it? Not just yet...300mm is home now.