I guess this problem has prompted some perfectionists among us to upgrade to the Nikon D700 or D3/X! But at least, let me finish the explanation as I attempt also to bring some solutions to the table.
What if the autofocus for one reason or another isn’t working? Then there are a couple of tricks you can resort to.
- Manual Selection of autofocus points
- Focus lock (also known to us as AF-L)
- Engage Autofocus assist beam (also known as AF Illumination)
- Engage AF-C focus mode (for continuous focusing)
- Move into Manual focus
- Get the Nikon Speedlight SB-800/900 to turn on the Multi-Area AF-Assist Illuminator